Dr. Rian Maercks is a top transgender surgeon in Miami who has developed aesthetic and augmentative techniques for male and female genitalia. His extensive expertise in natural aesthetics is not limited by gender or body part, and he has been well recognized for helping the transgender community with his procedures. If you were born male at birth but identify as female, you may be a strong candidate for MTF surgery. At The Maercks Institute, we provide world-class care and the resources necessary to support you through what can be an emotional time.
What are the FAVE enhancements?
The “E” in FAVE represents important enhancements that aren’t typically (or simply not ever) found in conventional vaginoplasty techniques. These enhancements include:
- Natural-looking clitoral hood origination. The FAVE male to female surgery procedure developed by top transgender surgeon Dr. Maercks achieves a natural-looking hood that has subtle folds on either side and originates from a subtle suprapubic mound — just like natural female anatomy.
- Optional urethral flap for enhanced natural vaginal lubrication. In the FAVE procedure, the long segment of the urethra that is usually thrown out can be integrated into the vagina. This helps with spontaneous lubrication.
- A scarless appearance. Conventional vaginoplasty techniques often result in significant, unattractive scars in the crease of the groin, but the freestyle flap design of the FAVE procedure allows either a completely hidden, “scarless” appearance or greatly minimized scarring.
- Internally oriented labia majora. Conventional vaginoplasty techniques pull the tissues in a “down and out” vector, which flattens the labia majora and spreads it apart. The FAVE procedure, however, allows a “closed” appearance of ideal aesthetics, which looks more natural.
- 100% flap-derived vaginal vault. In conventional vaginoplasty techniques, surgeons often use skin grafts to augment the lining of the neo-vagina to allow for adequate vaginal depth. This can result in pain and the need for a revision procedure. In the FAVE procedure, novel flaps and novel arrangements are used to provide a redundantly large surface area to line the vaginal vault, eliminating the need for a graft.
- Full-length true labia minora. The labia minora are largely neglected in conventional techniques, but in the FAVE procedure, the labia minora begins from the clitoral hood and travels with constant dimension all the way to the posterior of the vaginal opening, reflecting ideal feminine aesthetics.